“The world’s thrown into chaos, earthquakes, fires; but that’s fine, you knit your sock.” -Tom Servo



And the Half-Blood Prince is...!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



To those who haven't finished reading The Half-Blood Prince, DO NOT READ THIS POST ANY FURTHER! THERE ARE BIG SPOILERS IN HERE! DO NOT COME OVER AND KICK MY ASS IF YOU CHOOSE TO READ IT AND YOU SEE THINGS THAT YOU HAVEN'T READ YET!


Got it?





















Good. Those who keep on reading anyways, despite not finishing the book, I hold no liability over you not listening to warnings. ;)

Now, here's some points that I found interesting through the book:

- Chapter two. As you all know, I am a fan of Severus Snape. I was practically screaming in my head for him not to make an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa. I'll admit, this chapter did raise some doubts about him, but I decided to read on before making any judgements.

- Slughorn. Definately didn't like this character. I didn't like him because he only associated with those whom he would get things out of. I was half-expecting him to be working for Voldemort, but I guess not all former-Slytherins like the Dark Side. Though, he wasn't as bad as that bitch, Umbridge, whom I was hoping was the one to die in book 5.

- Romance, romance, ROMANCE! Ginny needs to relax when it comes to dating, methinks. Ron needed to be slapped a few times. He and Hermoine need to hook up, (which looks like they did.) And poor Harry, he was like Peter Parker at the end of Spiderman; he could be with the girl he loved, but thinks he can't because his enemies will go after her. (I'm guessing Ginny will still be helping Harry in Book 7, but we'll see.)

And does anyone else think that the whole Tonks/Lupin thing came out of NOWHERE? Also, I still don't like Fleur. Bill has weird preferences, (and they're going to get even weirder from now on...poor Bill! *cries*)

- Speaking of poor Harry, once again nobody listens to the boy. Draco was up to something, so was Snape, and everyone kept on dismissing his thoughts. Haven't these people learned anything after what happened in the last book?!

- The Horcruxes. That definately wasn't something I expected. Seven parts of Lord Voldemort to destroy! The diary was already destroyed, I can't remember what the other one was, and the others... The fake locket took me by surprise, and I was disappointed that it was a fake. However, somebody posted a theory that another person made about that Horcrux, and I find it interesting.
"Dumbledore knew the locket was a fake, and that it was never the Horcrux in the cave. The Horcrux was the potion which Dumbledore drank. This makes Dumbledore's talk of things being "all my fault" when he drinks the potion all the more eerie, because Dumbledore is giving voice to the remorse which Voldemort has stripped from his soul. The plan was to make Harry feed Dumbledore the Horcrux, and then make Snape destroy the Horcrux by killing Dumbledore."
Very interesting, no? It makes a weird sort of sense, too.

- Speaking of what was mentioned above, it's time to talk about what made me grab for tissues; the death of Dumbledore, and the betrayal of Severus Snape.

(To those who haven't read the end, are spoiled now, and want my blood, come and get it. ;) )

Anyways, I knew that someone was going to end up dying in this book. It was inevitable. But I didn't think that it would be Dumbledore of all characters! After reading chapter 2, I had a sinking feeling that Snape would've been put up to do the mission for Malfoy, since he would fail in killing Harry Potter (which is what I thought the mission was), Snape would've been in a bind, he would refuse to do it, because he was on their side, and he dies heroicly. There are quite a few good points people have made in Snape's defense, too. Here's one that I found very thought provoking:

"I think JR has fooled you if you think Snape is a bad guy. I believe that Dumbledore had planned far in advance for Snape to Avada Kedavra him. Remember Hagrid saying he saw Dumbledore and Snape having a heated argument? Snape was saying that Dumbledore was asking too much of him and dumbledore replied with something along the lines of: You already agreed to it. I suspect that that arguement was Dumbledore telling Snape that Snape will have to kill him soon. Dumbledore's plan does 2 things:
1) Spares Draco having to kill Snape, making his redemption easier
2) Allows for Snape to gain more of Voldemort and The Death Eaters' trust When Dumbledore was pleading with Snape, he wasn't pleading for his life. That is not what Dumbledore does. Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to do what was agreed: Avada Kedavra Dumbledore.The look and hatred on Snape's face when he did that was hatred for what he had to do, not hatred for the only man to give him a second chance."

A very good post, and I agree with it. There wasn't really any explination about the argument between Snape and Dumbledore, so it could have been Dumbledore explaining the plan to Snape, and/or telling Snape that if keeping his secret safe meant killing Dumbledore, then he had to do it. So, the whole thing was premeditated so Snape would not only destroy Dumbledore to keep his trust among the Death Eaters, but also to destroy one of the Horcruxes. This would also explain why Snape was furious when Harry called him a coward.

You Anti-Snape people might think that I'm trying to find some light within a "bad guy" still, but poo to you all, there's still book 7 to find out his true allegence. :)

Dumbledore's death, I have to say, really affected me more than Sirius'. Not only was the murder commited by my favorite character, but it was totally unexpected. I was hoping that the curse didn't work, and Dumbledore was fine, or at least he wasn't meant to die until book 7. Right when he was killed, I started crying as I kept on reading. From his death, to the characters talking about Severus' betrayal, to the funeral, I cried. Sometimes I couldn't read the text until I dried my eyes. Then, I'd stop crying, a character says something emotional, and I cry again.

The ending of the book heavily hinted at what's going on next, (and I read in the newspaper this morning that it would.) No seventh year at Hogwarts? Well, that's a neat change, and probably better, because then we'd be sick of the same thing.

- Lastly, the identity of the Half-Blood Prince. When Hermoine found the picture of the girl with the last name "Prince," I was like "Okay, that's unexpected..." I was figuring it'd be someone we already knew, but I never thought it'd be Snape! I actually like that idea. Made sense how he knew where Harry learned Sectumsempra immediately, and where James had learned Levicorpus, too. Also makes sense when he questioned Harry about his potions book quite a bit, even with Roonil Wezezlby written on it.

Well, that's all I could think of now. To those who finished the book, I wanna hear YOUR theories and stuff. To those who haven't, why are you reading this? ;)


1 Responses to “And the Half-Blood Prince is...!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horcruxes

    really coool theories on here.. check it out

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Chicky
  • From United States
  • I'm a college student who loves art, knitting, video games, and other random things.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3