“The world’s thrown into chaos, earthquakes, fires; but that’s fine, you knit your sock.” -Tom Servo



Artsy stuff


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Just recently I've been thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. Today I was researching info on Graphic Designers, and I was thinking that maybe it's not the right field for me. I love designing things, but when I thought about it, maybe I'll be happier in the other field I've been thinking of; Illustration. I knew before I applied to college that I wanted to either be a graphic designer or illustrator. Right now I'm thinking that I do more drawing and painting work than design work, so maybe being an illustrator would be good for me. It would be a lot of fun to illustrate a children's book, or to make designs for products like posters and calendars. Luckily I don't have to change my degree-type because a design degree works for both fields. I have a feeling I'll change my mind again at some point, but oh well. I've got 3 more years to figure out what I want to do before I go for my Masters of Fine Arts.

Either way, looking through the professional portfolios of other artists, I need to work on learning how to do computer art, and I need to get to work on my portfolio in places other than the classroom. This summer I plan on learning how to use my new airbrush machine, and working on many projects. I'm also going to look into going to an open figure drawing session that I heard about while in AP Art, but I just need to learn which studio is holding it. Hartwick college offers them Wednesday nights, but unfortunately I have Team Trivia with the girls, so I can't go. Sometimes I feel like my work isn't good enough for a career in art, but I've got plenty of time to hone my skill before I look for a career.

What I worry about sometimes with my career choice of being in art is how I'll get by financially. I'm not going into art to make a lot of money, but sometimes I worry that I won't be able to make enough to just be an artist, or have to hold another job to make ends meet. Sometimes I think that would be a thrill to be a challenge, other times I'm scared that I'll have a rough time. I know I won't be extremely rich, that's not what I was looking for in art. Free-lancing might be in my future...most likely actually, since I saw a statistic where about 60% of visual artists are self-employed. That could be fun, but it sounds so scary in a way.

Despite my worries about my future, I won't change my career choice because of that. I love art, and the only way I'd change my career choice was if I wasn't interested in it anymore.

I'm probably just too worrisome right now, but that's my thoughts of the day.

P.S. Joel says hi. :)


1 Responses to “Artsy stuff”

  1. Blogger Bezzie 

    You can do it! I often regret having not gone to art school and I think it's because I thought a lot of the same stuff you did--"Is my stuff any good???"

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Chicky
  • From United States
  • I'm a college student who loves art, knitting, video games, and other random things.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3